The MDA announced that the 85-year-old comedian and movie star is no longer the chairman of the charity. Lewis had announced that he would be retiring from hosting the telethon and from the charity. However, it was initially announced that Lewis would make a final appearance on this year’s telethon.
According to media reports, however, now that may not happen, either. Lewis made the announcement that he would be retiring back in May of this year. The annual telethon is traditionally held over Labor Day Weekend. Lewis said, when he announced he would be retiring this year, that he would make his final appearance on September 4.
Now, MDA chairman of the board R. Rodney Howell released a statement on Wednesday saying that Lewis would not be making any appearance on this year’s telethon. The only other explanation given was that Lewis’ tenure was over. The statement also said that the MDA would not be seeking a new national chairman to replace Lewis.
As to why this move has been made by MDA, there was no full explanation. So far, the MDA has not returned any calls from the press to further explain why they chose to make this move and why Lewis would not be allowed to return to the telethon.