The Official Charts Company released its lists of the UK's top-selling rock performers, and despite releasing its album in October, Coldplay surpassed all other acts in terms of sales.
The London-based band's fifth album, "Mylo Xyloto," sold 908,000 copies in the UK, nearly doubling the closest competitor. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, led by the former Oasis guitarist, placed second on the list, selling 492,000 copies of its self-titled album also released in October.
Florence & The Machine's "Ceremonials" (384,000 copies), Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light" (380,000) and Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More" (373,000) rounded out the top-five highest selling rock albums.
In terms of single sales, Coldplay also took top honors, selling 410,000 recordings of its hit "Paradise." Surprisingly in second place was "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls, selling 264,000 copies. The song was originally released in 1998, but thanks partly to its inclusion on the television show "X Factor," the song had a revival.
Coldplay proved that the Goo Goo Dolls were not the only band that had staying power. Coldplay had four songs in the top-20 best-selling singles of 2011 in the UK, and two of them were from previously released albums. In addition to 2011's "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," which placed No. 4 on the list, Coldplay also checked in with 2005's "Fix You" at No. 11 and 2008's "Viva La Vida" at No. 18.
Other notable singles on the top-selling list include No. 8 "Chasing Cars" from Snow Patrol, released in 2006 by the Northern Ireland band. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," released in 1991 by the Kurt Cobain-led band, placed No. 14, while Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire" from 2009 was No. 19.
UK Rock Album Sales (Copies Sold in Parentheses)
1. Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (908,000)
2. Noel Gallagher: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (492,000)
3. Florence & The Machine: Ceremonials (384,000)
4. Foo Fighters: Wasting Light (380,000)
5. Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More (373,000)
6. Elbow: Build A Rocket Boys (327,000)
7. Kasabian: Velociraptor (279,000)
8. Snow Patrol: Fallen Empires (269,000)
9. Noah & The Whale: Last Night On Earth (261,000)
10. Arctic Monkeys: Suck It And See (223,000)
UK Rock Single Sales (Copies Sold in Parentheses)
1. Coldplay: Paradise (410,000)
2. Goo Goo Dolls: Iris (264,000)
3. Birdy: Skinny Love (259,000)
4. Coldplay: Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (247,000)
5. Noah & The Whale: L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. (242,000)
6. James Morrison: I Won't Let You Go (228,000)
7. Foster The People: Pumped Up Kicks (225,000)
8. Snow Patrol: Chasing Cars (128,000)
9. Florence And The Machine: Shake It Out (127,000)
10. The Calling: Wherever You Will Go (125,000)
For the top 20, visit: The Official Charts Company.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons